Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Independence Day

This is the first time in five years that I'm on American soil for Fourth of July.  My world has expanded greatly in those years.  As I type AMERICAN I am reminded of a Colombian friend who would take me to task for using that phrase.  He always noted that America includes countries crom Canada to chile and everything between.  The US is simply one part of  America.  That being said, I've had more Spanish speakers ask me if I'm from America than Los Estados Unidos.  One phrase does trip off the tongue a bit easier than the other.

Fourth of July is more personal and freeing that BBQ and fireworks can illustrate.  I am independent.  I live alone, I make enough to support myself and pay down my debts. I am great company for myself and don't hide at home because I don't have someone to accompany me to events.  I am actively seeking my bliss, on trails, rivers, lakes, as well as in bars, concert halls and theatres.  I'm making friends and keeping in touch with those in Indonesia and Spain.  Dating is an option but I will not settle for less than what I want/need. Even if it takes a hundred first dates to get there.

Enjoy your picinics, read up on Richard Henry Lee, listen to the 1812 overture and ponder why it symbolizes American Independence day and not a Russian military defeat, have some ribs instead of just hot dogs, consider weather Samueal Adams would have endorsed the Sam Adams your drinking.

To you Seattleites specifically, take photos.  We all know how rare a sunny Fourth is.  It won't happen again for an eon.

I hope to join you all once I'm released from the dungeon, I mean work.

Happy Fourth!

1 comment:

  1. 'American' is the demonym and don't be afraid to use it either. It's not our fault no one else is none the wiser.

    ReplyDelete