Thursday, January 10, 2013

Crush

In general, I'm against unrequited love.  Out movie and pop culture tells us that it's romantic and dreamy.  That being in love with someone who is in love with someone else is apparently as common as, well the common cold.  Check out many of the popular movies: twilight (I think there's the werewolf kid who loves the creepy emo chick but she loves the vampire.  I'll confess, I didn't do my homework on this one as that would require watching those movies).  I did see Les Miserables last week and there was a similar love triangle with two girls falling for the same boy.
[As aside: I don't watch romantic comedies.  I don't think they give people a realistic hope for their own lives, or are particularly funny.  I realize that we should be able to set our expectations based on real life, but many people seem to have trouble making that distinction. Unrequited, undeclared, unfilled love often plays a big role in these movies.]

What's the point in pining after someone who is either oblivious of your feelings, or who is aware of them and simply doesn't feel the same way? It's not ideal by any stretch of the mind.

That said, there is something kind of fun about an old school junior high crush. I've got one. I've had it for a little while.  It's someone that I'm not pursuing. I don't think (I hope) that he doesn't know.  I doubt a relationship between us would work and I'm at a place in my life where I have a fair grasp of whether a relationship is possible within a couple meetings.

With a crush, that doesn't matter.  It's not about the relationship.  It's about getting jelly kneed in their presence. It's about the fact that's he's gorgeous. It's that he's totally unattainable, but I'm not really going to try. It's because I feel like I'm about 16 again when I'm near him.

I won't say too much for fear of exposing who it is.  I'll simply say he's a friend of a friend who I see every couple months.  Our lives hardly cross.  Yet every time I'm near him I get butterflies. I don't think of him if I haven't seen him. But when I do see him, it fuels my imagination for a couple days.

Sigh! Where's my notebook?  I could totally doodle some butterflies and hearts right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment