Thursday, March 21, 2013

Retaining Sanity and Losing Weight


Since I'm waiting to find out where I'll be working next, and with which company, I've got some time on my hands.  When you're working full time, time off sounds great.  When you're waiting to work and don't know when your next paycheck is going to come in, time off can be the kiss of death. If I already knew when and where I was going to start working, I could go on vacation, maybe scuba somewhere or visit some friends on other continents. Since I don't, I end up trying to stay home . . . a lot.  Inevitably, leaving the house means spending money.  I go to Home Depot to get supplies for house projects, I go for acupuncture, I go out to have a meal with a friend.  It all costs.
To try and keep the costs down while maintaining what's left of my sanity (I hear you snickering, I know there's not much left!), I've been hitting the gym.  I already had a membership, so no additional money out the door there.  It gets me out of the house and since it's Spring in the PNW, the weather is more often than not still pretty lousy (see yesterday's post). Not to mention that everyone else is working so it's darn tough to find a hiking/snowshoeing buddy midweek.

I had my first monthly check-in with a trainer in nine months.  Now, I'd gotten on the gym kick not long after I moved back to Seattle.  The problem came first during the holidays as I got out of the habit and when I was on the road.  Sure there was a gym at the hotel, but it didn't have the set up I wanted and really, after an eleven hour day, it was the last thing I wanted to do. So, my first weigh in, measurement check since May of 2012.  Honestly, I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.  I could tell a few ounces here, a few more there had snuck in.  I am up about ten pounds from where I was in May. By May, I had been working out about ten weeks solidly so I was lighter than when I first got back.  That being said, half of that ten pounds I put on was lean muscle and my tape measurements (weight, hips, etc) hadn't changed much.
I've got some goals on the horizon and instead of doing what I usually do, which is: I don't tell anyone that I'm making changes, hope someone notices, am accountable to no one else, and end up falling off the wagon. Intead, I'm telling all of you.  I mentioned that I want to do four mud run/obstacle courses this year.  I'm hoping for one in each month of June, July, august and September.  Anything beyond that is a bonus. The Tacoma metro area also hosts fun runs and pub runs that start as short as two miles.  I'm going to do at least two.  While I realize that I could go out and run on my own without paying an entry fee ranging from $10 to $75, I know I won't.  I hate running.  I'll swim, I'll bike, I'll do the elliptical at the gym, but I won't run unless I'm financially and socially obligated. I know I'm not the only one since these runs have gained a huge following in the last several years.
I want to lose at least fifteen pounds and gain definition, tone and health. I want to be ready for a four day backpacking trip in September.  I want to keep up with the hiking group much better than last year. I want to feel great in a swim suit this summer.

On that note, I'm off to tackle a to do list.  I've gone to the gym the last three days in a row and I'm so sore I could hardly get my coffee cup off the shelf today.  I'm taking the day off the gym and instead doing fun things like hanging artwork, and a closet door, painting patched up dings in the hallway, and cleaning the bathroom.  Wooooooo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment