Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Mastering the delicate art of the Nap

I'm 29 and ready for preschool. I'm not sure it's regression but I love nap time.  Lately I grab a nap at least one day a week, more if I can manage it. Mel's Quick tips:
  • Don't turn the TV on or you'll get sucked into some inane show you don't really want to be watching anyway.
  •  Don't sleep sitting up.  I know people do, but that's a sure way to wake up with a crick in your neck. Get comfy.  Don't share nap space.  
  • Snack after your nap is a must if you have to go be functional.
  • Find a way to remember it's night even though its only 6pm but its dark out. I usually leave something on the table that wouldn't be there for the morning. 
  • No more than one beer/drink before or you won't get up.
  • Specific for naps in tropical countries: pants off, AC on!
Finally
  • Give in.  If you wake up still tired and you don't have to go somewhere, then stay and sleep some more.
I don't care what they say, this is not how to nap.  She had a coffee, neither of them look comfortable and they'll wake up more tired than when they went to sleep.
My favorite day for napping is Wednesday.  I can usually grab an hour between school and my business class.  It usually perks me up and keeps me going. I used to nap on Thursdays but lately I hit the pillow about 4 or 5 in the afternoon and either don't get up at all, or get up just long enough to eat.  I  hate waking up starving in the morning.

Friday is also a great day to nap though I haven't managed it much lately.  If I know I'm going out drinking and dancing with the girls then a nap from say 4:15-5:30 or 6 will help keep me up and going without the aid of Extra Joss (think red bull but in a powder that effervesces and tastes better).
I occasionally get the change to nap at work. The Korean work ethic here seems to be more about quantity of hours at work than the actual work done. I'm not the only one.  Some of the teachers get in a couple naps a week.  The Koreans seem to go for the short, daily nap while the bule prefer one a week but a longer nap.  This is with the exception of my worthless teaching partner who had three 3+ hour naps last week.  I'll rant about him later.
Shortly I'll be off home to nap today. I can tell if going to be a tough one to get up from.

No comments:

Post a Comment