Thursday, October 28, 2010

Halloweenie

I believe that there are two types of people when it comes to Halloween and it's genetic.  Either you have the "dress up gene" or you don't.  My good friend Donna would probably quite happily dress up every day of the year given time and resources are available.  I,  on the other hand, can hardly be bothered.  I have other things I'd rather get to with both my limited time and money. In my six months at EF in Pluit there was a "fancy dress" (as the Brits call it, which still makes me think Oscar attire not Halloween attire).  the three weeks prior I mentioned once that I MIGHT try to get something together and then promptly gave in to my real self and announced I would be costumeless.  It was a super heros and super villans party.  It consisted of lots of underwear outside of pants and towel capes. After weeks of explaining that costuming isn't my thing, everyone was still shocked that I walked out into the party (it was at the house where I lived) WITHOUT a costume.
TO THE RESCUE?
 This year I have been nudged into participating this year.  I have Donna who helped guide my costume search. We even found a way to make costumes suited for me.  Rules: 1) nothing sexy and smutty and cliche.  No sexy nurse, sexy witch, sexy vampire etc. 2) it must be comfortable 3) no need for expensive make up or paint.  DONE!  and not just one but two costumes.  Plan A is a sherpa/mountain lady  (photos will follow and hopefully help alleviate the confusion you must be feeling), Plan B a 1950's deadline rushed reporter.  Did I have second thoughts about not using Halloween to show as much skin as possible? Yeah, it crossed my mind for a minute that when we go out to the bars tomorrow night I will almost definitely be the only girl in costume without her boobs out. Being different is a good thing though. . . .right?
roll your tongue up, put it back in your mouth and carry on boys!

I'll let you know how Halloween turns out.  I'd love comments on what you're dressing up as, what you're plans are or after the fact, how it all panned out.

As a final note, if you are interested in everything Halloween, check out http://www.howstuffworks.com/search.php?terms=how+halloween+works  !
How stuff works has a great website and an even better line of podcasts.  I should be getting paid for this endorsement!  I like "stuff mom never told you", "stuff you should know" and my favorite is  "stuff you missed in history class". I'm test driving "stuff they don't want you to know" a video podcast this week.

And lastly as a fun reminder, here are some Halloween rules. I didn't think of them, but I laughed all the same.

1. When it appears that you have killed the monster, NEVER check to see if it's really dead.

2. Never read a book of demon summoning aloud, even as a joke.

3. Do not search the basement, especially if the power has gone out.

4. If your children speak to you in Latin or any other language which they should not know, shoot them immediately. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run. However, it will probably take several rounds to kill them, so be prepared. This also applies to kids who speak with somebody else's voice.

5. When you have the benefit of numbers, NEVER pair offand go it alone.

6. As a general rule, don't solve puzzles that open portals to Hell.

7. Never stand in, on, or above a grave, tomb, or crypt. This would apply to any other house of the dead as well.

8. If you're searching for something which caused a loud noise and find out that it's just the cat, GET THE HELL OUT!

9. If appliances start operating by themselves, do not check for short circuits; just get out!

10. Do not take ANYTHING from the dead.

11. If you find a town which looks deserted, there's probably a good reason for it. Don't stop and look around.

12. Don't fool with recombinant DNA technology unless you're sure you know what you're doing.

13. If you're running from the monster, expect to trip or fall down at least twice. Also note that, despite the
fact that you are running and the monster is merely shambling along, it's still moving fast enough to catch up
with you.

14. If your companions suddenly begin to exhibit uncharacteristic behavior such as hissing, fascination for
blood, glowing eyes, increasing hairiness, and so on, kill them immediately.

15. Stay away from certain geographical locations, some of which are listed here: Amityville, Elm Street, Transylvania, Nilbog (you're in trouble if you recognize this one), the Bermuda Triangle, or any small town in Maine (or Alabama).

16. If your car runs out of gas at night on a lonely road,do not go to the nearby deserted looking house to phone for help. If you think that it is strange because you thought you had half of a tank, shoot yourself instead. You are going to die anyway, and most likely be eaten.

17. If you find that your house is built upon a cemetery, now is the time to move in with the in-laws. This applies to houses that had previous inhabitants who went mad or died in some horrible fashion, or had inhabitants who performed satanic practices in your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment